Monday, July 9, 2012

Dorm Room Crafts! (Part 1)

I've been excited for a while (let's face it, a couple years) to decorate a dorm room. New color scheme, the challenge of working with a small space...

But I didn't want to just decorate. I wanted to make as much for my dorm as I could. So what did I make? Three projects so far, and with minimal supplies. The next few coming soon...

Project 1: Bulletin Board





My roommate and I have decided on a color scheme of blues and greens, and I've already done a bunch of crafts with just one paint: Martha Stewart Crafts Multi-Surface Satin Acrylic Craft Paint. This stuff has been great so far, and a little goes a long way. 

Anyway, for the bulletin board, I guess I could have found some cork board (easily found at craft stores) and a frame, but I saw a bulletin board already made at Marshall's (I can't find a picture of it unfortunately). And I just painted the frame with the Martha Stewart paint! Bonus of acrylic paint: dries really quickly, so perfect for the impatient crafter like me. I've found that a layer dries in about 30 minutes, depending on the surface you're painting. I put three layers of paint on this frame. Two could have been sufficient but I wanted a little extra oomph.  :)



The finishing touch on that one was a bit of a splurge, and I bet there's a way to make them, but I got some fabric-covered push pins from Anthropologie for them ($15 for twenty): 


So, so, so cute. Worth every penny.

The next few projects will appear tomorrow and the next day! 






No comments:

Post a Comment